ipad battery drain rapidly increased in the last week.

Chris

Feb 28, 2023, 10:34:56 AM2/28/23

My gen 9 ipad with latest iOS has suddenly draining the battery rapidly.

I've had it over a year and up until now the battery has lasted several
days despite me using it every day. Now it lasts about half a day.

My usage hasn't changed at all. I almost exclusively use Notes for
handwritten notes of meetings. This is reflected in the battery history
80-90% Notes.

There's no battery health view on the ipad so can't tell whether this is
a battery problem. Is there any way to find out whether it's a hardware
or software requirements?

News

Feb 28, 2023, 1:22:28 PM2/28/23
No delta on an i9 iPadOS 16.3.1 (loaded within the past week).

Why not ask the iPad forum?

Chris

Feb 28, 2023, 1:45:28 PM2/28/23
No.

> Why not ask the iPad forum?

Which one?

News

Feb 28, 2023, 2:13:55 PM2/28/23
comp.mobile.ipad

Wade Garrett

Feb 28, 2023, 2:39:41 PM2/28/23
See my recent thread in the iPad forum that might be relevant...

--
I know things and I fix stuff

sms

Feb 28, 2023, 2:57:05 PM2/28/23
If the iPad is jailbroken there's a Tweak to enable Battery Health, see
<https://www.idownloadblog.com/2021/04/12/batteryhealthenabler/>.

nospam

Feb 28, 2023, 3:01:20 PM2/28/23
In article <ttlmaf$3mgh7$3...@dont-email.me>, sms
<scharf...@geemail.com> wrote:

> If the iPad is jailbroken there's a Tweak to enable Battery Health,

there is no need to jailbreak.

*Hemidactylus*

Feb 28, 2023, 3:15:24 PM2/28/23
Then how is battery health enabled on iPad?

Chris

Feb 28, 2023, 3:18:15 PM2/28/23
Last I looked, it's pretty dead.

News

Feb 28, 2023, 3:26:36 PM2/28/23
See thread: overnight self-discharge

nospam

Feb 28, 2023, 3:32:28 PM2/28/23
In article <cWSdnSobW-BM_WP-...@giganews.com>,
*Hemidactylus* <ecph...@allspamis.invalid> wrote:

> >> If the iPad is jailbroken there's a Tweak to enable Battery Health,
> >
> > there is no need to jailbreak.
> >
> Then how is battery health enabled on iPad?

i didn't say it could be enabled on the ipad.

i simply said there's no need to jailbreak to get that info, and there
isn't.

there are apps that run on both mac os and windows that can query it
(and other info).

Chris

Feb 28, 2023, 3:36:22 PM2/28/23
I'd like to know as well.

Chris

Feb 28, 2023, 3:36:22 PM2/28/23
Blaming the magnetic cover seems like a bit of a reach.

VanguardLH

Feb 28, 2023, 4:46:12 PM2/28/23
Lack of traffic can simply mean no one has asked for help, so no one
else has reason to post a response. Best way to determine if a
newsgroup is dead is to ask for help, and wait a week for responses.

*Hemidactylus*

Feb 28, 2023, 6:32:09 PM2/28/23
So in your world fictitious people are still buying and using desktops or
laptops? Apple shits on people who don’t. Why can’t iPad users get the same
info that iPhone users do?

[insert bullshit convoluted nonsplanation here]

*Hemidactylus*

Feb 28, 2023, 6:46:59 PM2/28/23
So iPads are not self-sufficient. I was just told by nospam: “there are
apps that run on both mac os and windows that can query it (and other
info).”

Lame!

Chris

Mar 1, 2023, 12:52:36 PM3/1/23
Seems like a couple of extra reboots fixed it. Working as normal today.
Phew! I really depend on that ipad.

Wade Garrett

Mar 1, 2023, 3:43:48 PM3/1/23
Once I removed the cover, the problem vanished. After several days, I
put the iPad back in the cover and the problem returned.

Repeated for another cycle. Same results.

Seems like a reach to you-- but it ain't ;-)

Jolly Roger

Mar 1, 2023, 3:52:49 PM3/1/23
Nice. Probably just a software malfunction (app or system service).

JR

*Hemidactylus*

Mar 1, 2023, 4:19:05 PM3/1/23
[and the sound of chirping crickets yields my answer]

sms

Mar 1, 2023, 6:21:37 PM3/1/23
On 3/1/2023 12:43 PM, Wade Garrett wrote:

<snip>

> Once I removed the cover, the problem vanished. After several days, I
> put the iPad back in the cover and the problem returned.
>
> Repeated for another cycle. Same results.
>
> Seems like a reach to you-- but it ain't ;-)

I recall reading about this issue. If the smart cover moves slightly
then the screen comes on and the battery drains faster. If the iPad is
sitting on a table it's not going to matter but if it's in a briefcase,
pack, etc., even slight motion can wake it up.

*Hemidactylus*

Mar 1, 2023, 7:58:46 PM3/1/23
Not answered. Not surprising.

nospam

Mar 1, 2023, 8:15:37 PM3/1/23
In article <-ZOcnaJf1P8maWL-...@giganews.com>,
*Hemidactylus* <ecph...@allspamis.invalid> wrote:

> > So iPads are not self-sufficient. I was just told by nospam: łthere are
> > apps that run on both mac os and windows that can query it (and other
> > info).˛
> >
> > Lame!
> >
> Not answered. Not surprising.

there was no question.

Hank Rogers

Mar 1, 2023, 8:30:37 PM3/1/23
Folks were expecting you to say "Not needed and nobody wants it."

*Hemidactylus*

Mar 1, 2023, 8:50:20 PM3/1/23
Hank Rogers <ha...@nospam.invalid> wrote:
> nospam wrote:

>>> Not answered. Not surprising.
>>
>> there was no question.
>>

> Folks were expecting you to say "Not needed and nobody wants it."

My question to this lying piece of shit is why I can’t get an answer on
battery “maximum capacity” on my ipad but can on my iphone.

You actually played into his lying fucking bullshit. Jolly Roger should
come by and gaslight everyone as to why that is unimportant. Seriously
don’t fucking bullshit me more assclown liars about how this is unimportant
because you are fucking lamers. Pay almost a thousand dollars for a high
end iPad and have fucking liars lie. Lying assclowns.

Implicitly admitted is that ipads are not self-sufficient. You need a
Windows PC to check battery health. Low end bullshit.

*Hemidactylus*

Mar 1, 2023, 8:54:19 PM3/1/23
Oh wait for nospam to respond did I need to add question marks??? What an
evasive lying piece of shit.

*Hemidactylus*

Mar 1, 2023, 9:00:11 PM3/1/23
Fuck nospam.

*Hemidactylus*

Mar 1, 2023, 9:07:08 PM3/1/23
I spent almost a grand and Tim “Piece of Shit” Cook doesn’t think I need
feedback on my battery health? Fuck him too scumbag piece of shit corporate
asshole, nospam, and Jolly Roger too. Fuck the customer as we are always
wrong.

Jolly Roger

Mar 1, 2023, 11:05:02 PM3/1/23
You should probably seek the help of a psychiatric professional to learn
how to cope with your trauma.

Andy Burnelli

Mar 2, 2023, 12:50:50 AM3/2/23
*Hemidactylus* wrote:

> My question to this lying piece of shit is why I canÿt get an answer on
> battery ´maximum capacity¡ on my ipad but can on my iphone.
>
> You actually played into his lying fucking bullshit. Jolly Roger should
> come by and gaslight everyone as to why that is unimportant. Seriously
> donÿt fucking bullshit me more assclown liars about how this is unimportant
> because you are fucking lamers. Pay almost a thousand dollars for a high
> end iPad and have fucking liars lie. Lying assclowns.
>
> Implicitly admitted is that ipads are not self-sufficient. You need a
> Windows PC to check battery health. Low end bullshit.

Long ago I observed what Hemidactylus did about the iKooks who will stab
their own mothers in the back if that defends Apple's honor at all cost.

*Why do the Apple Apologists constantly send poor unsuspecting iOS users on wild goose chases?*
<https://groups.google.com/g/misc.phone.mobile.iphone/c/ynh0PE9lK_I/m/XPxZMUkaDwAJ>

The iKooks have no honor. No shame. Nor morals. No knowledge. No heart.
*The iKooks are truly despicable wholly unprepossessing people*
--
They have no knowledge.
All the iKooks _can_ do, is lie.

Hank Rogers

Mar 2, 2023, 2:27:54 PM3/2/23
That's because you won't let them read your books.

Chris

Mar 6, 2023, 2:36:48 AM3/6/23
I've got round to connecting my ipad to my Windows with 3uTools and found
the battery have 99% health.

So that's good confirmation that any further issues won't be down to the
battery.

Andy Burnelli

Mar 6, 2023, 11:41:54 AM3/6/23
Chris wrote:

>>> Then how is battery health enabled on iPad?
>>
>> I'd like to know as well.
>
> I've got round to connecting my ipad to my Windows with 3uTools and found
> the battery have 99% health.
>
> So that's good confirmation that any further issues won't be down to the
> battery.

To the adults on this newsgroup, please see the question at the bottom,
as the goal of this newsgroup is to help and learn from each other.
<https://i.postimg.cc/bNGJbphn/battery02.jpg> 3utools battery info

I like to be helpful so when I mention a tool, I generally give people
clickable links so they can stand on my shoulders as I stand on Chris'.

From my log...
mkdir c:\software\hardware\ipad\3utools
cd !$
https://www.3u.com/
https://url.3u.com/zmAJjyaa <== that's the download link apparently
https://d-updater.3u.com/3utools/download/3uTools_v2.65.003_Setup.exe
Name: 3uTools_v2.65.003_Setup.exe
Size: 121432128 bytes (115 MiB)
SHA256: 84F885BF443D5070412CB86C1C49B22963E65187000BA665C12B3C623AB59951

killswitch on
Verified publisher Shenzhen Aidapu Network Technology Co.,Ltd.
You can uncheck the EULA but then you know why you don't.
Custom install (change)
Install Location from C:\Program Files (x86)\3uTools\
Install Location to C:\apps\hardware\ipad\3utools
Data Location from E:\3uTools
Data Location to E:\data\hardware\ipad\3utools
[Install]

You can uncheck the creation of a desktop shortcut but you want it.
target = C:\apps\hardware\ipad\3utools\3uTools\3uTools.exe
comment = The simplest iOS jailbreak & flash tool, the most efficient iOS managemet tool. [sic]
No joking. That's the comment. Typo included.

In Settings > General, I changed these settings (whatever they mean):
FROM:
[_]Turn off report (data will no longer be submited for report)
TO:
[x]Turn off report (data will no longer be submited for report)

FROM:
Settings > General > Closing software
(x) Minimized to the system tray, but don't exit application
(_) Exit application
TO:
(_) Minimized to the system tray, but don't exit application
(x) Exit application

Here's the result run on one of my iOS devices.
<https://i.postimg.cc/bNGJbphn/battery02.jpg> 3utools battery info

Battery Life = 84% (Details)
Charge Times = 306 Times
Actual Capacity = 7196 mAH
Design Capacity = 8557 mAh
Battery Life = 84%
Serial Number = D
Charge Mode = Fully Charged
Instant Voltage = 4.17 V
Boot Voltage = 3.85 V
Temperature = 15.50 C
Instant Amperage = 0 mA
Battery Manufacturer = Unknown
Production Date = 3/6/2018

The information was different when I ran the iMazing battery status
but what I'd like to know from others is how you think this compares to
what you get in your iPhone native battery health status report.

https://imazing.com/guides/how-to-check-iphone-ipad-battery-health-and-diagnostics
https://imazing.com/download/windows
https://downloads.imazing.com/windows/iMazing/iMazing2forWindows.exe
Name: iMazing2forWindows.exe
Size: 117557160 bytes (112 MiB)
SHA256: 4BC641CAB1CF7260B55CD2564DB529B2EED88D266DEF0EA7C0F587DB5F32498C

Your battery health is average = 87%
Battery Current Charge = 6625mAh (88.9%)
Battery Design Max. Charge = 8557mAh
Battery Effective Max. Charge = 7453mAh (87.1%)
Battery Charge Cycles = 306
Battery Temperature = 29.1C/84.4F
Batterv State Charging = -2.5Watt
Battery Instant Amperage = -621mA
Battery Instant Voltage = 4082mV
Battery At Warn Level = No
Battery At Critical Level = No
Battery Model = 0003-D
Battery Serial Number = D
Battery Manufacturer = D
Battery Avg. Temperature = 22.0C/71.6F
Battery Min. Temperature = 3.6C/38.5F
Battery Max. Temperature = 52.2C/126.0F
Battery Max. Charge = 0mA
Battery Max. Discharge = 0mA
Charger = usb host
Charger Watts = 2
Charger Voltage = 5000mV
Charger Amperage = -621mA
Low battery notification = Never

Despite unsubstantiated (likely fabricated) claims by nospam
what I'd like to know from others is how you think this compares to what
you get in your iPhone native battery health status report.
--
Posted out of the goodness of my heart to disseminate useful information
which, in this case, is to augment, in detail, Chris' kind suggestions.

VanguardLH

Mar 6, 2023, 3:18:12 PM3/6/23
Chris <ithi...@gmail.com> wrote:

> I've got round to connecting my ipad to my Windows with 3uTools and found
> the battery have 99% health.
>
> So that's good confirmation that any further issues won't be down to the
> battery.

I could find no mention how 3utools measures battery health. In fact,
there is little info on anything in the tools suite. Measuring by
voltage is not a valid indicator of a battery's health. Since coulombs
cannot be measure for the battery's capacity, about the only other
method is to record and graph the discharge and charge rates over many
discharge/charge cycles. However, that is only an indicator of battery
health, and still does not measure capacity (coulombs).

A battery that charges to 100% may still only provide a small portion of
a good battery that has far more capacity. A 100% battery could drain
in a couple hours because it has less capacity versus a 100% good
battery that takes days to drain until the same loads.

Other than some vague "health" measure, does 3utools actually define how
they measure health? Without a history measuring charge and discharge
info, such "health" measures are worthless. Just measuring charge rate
(amperes times seconds) would indicate coulombs, and keeping a history
would be needed to determine if capacity is waning, and by how much
(because all batteries wane in capacity over time). The voltage across
the battery does NOT measure capacity.

Some mobile devices let apps query the charging rate, some don't. If
not, amperes cannot be measured which means capacity cannot be measured.
Since often charging is perform when the battery has been drained to
different levels, a history is needed to graph charging rate at
different start points.

Does 3utools provide any information on how they measure capacity, or is
"health" some nebulous measure that might be based solely on voltage?

nospam

Mar 6, 2023, 4:46:30 PM3/6/23
In article <1w1mx0dcm8iv5$.dlg@v.nguard.lh>, VanguardLH <V...@nguard.LH>
wrote:

> > I've got round to connecting my ipad to my Windows with 3uTools and found
> > the battery have 99% health.
> >
> > So that's good confirmation that any further issues won't be down to the
> > battery.
>
> I could find no mention how 3utools measures battery health. In fact,
> there is little info on anything in the tools suite.

you're looking in the wrong place.

the *battery* reports its health, which can be read by software and
reported to the user, much like smart monitoring on hard drives.

> Measuring by
> voltage is not a valid indicator of a battery's health.

which is why that's not used for the battery health report.

> Since coulombs
> cannot be measure for the battery's capacity, about the only other
> method is to record and graph the discharge and charge rates over many
> discharge/charge cycles. However, that is only an indicator of battery
> health, and still does not measure capacity (coulombs).

no, that's not the only other method.

sms

Mar 7, 2023, 6:24:37 AM3/7/23
3uTools is sketchy. Their web site is no secure. Not sure what country
it's based in, but you see a large number of spelling and grammar errors.

I suspect that 3uTools looks at the maximum battery charge percentage
and your battery cycle count and tries to guesstimate the battery health.

There is also iMazing <https://imazing.com/> which you can install on
your computer. They don't say how they determine battery health on the iPad.

Andy Burnelli

Mar 7, 2023, 7:33:12 AM3/7/23
sms wrote:

> 3uTools is sketchy. Their web site is no secure. Not sure what country
> it's based in, but you see a large number of spelling and grammar errors.

I don't know what's wrong with Steve as we already discussed it's from
China. And yes, it has the sloppiest spelling, showing lack of attention to
detail.

> I suspect that 3uTools looks at the maximum battery charge percentage
> and your battery cycle count and tries to guesstimate the battery health.

Again, I don't know what's wrong with Steve that he's so ignorant even
_after_ I provided the detailed screenshots of what 3uTools reports.

> There is also iMazing <https://imazing.com/> which you can install on
> your computer. They don't say how they determine battery health on the iPad.

Again, and again, I provided _exactly_ what iMazing reports for my own
iPads, so it's strange Steve is still completely unaware of those facts.